You’ve probably heard a lot of talk about how vaping is becoming a popular NRT, or nicotine replacement therapy.
Hey, maybe it’s why you switched from smoking to vaping. If that’s the case, we’re glad you’re here!
If not, we invite you to pull up a seat and read this article on why you might want to consider vaping as your NRT of choice. We believe that providing you a little insight on why vaping is an excellent NRT, backed by science and research, you’ll be able to make an informed decision. So... let’s get started?!
Study and Conclusions
The National Institutes of Health released a study back in 2015 that was a prospective one-year survey of vape shop consumers. Feel free to look up the study yourself, but we’re going to summarize what the survey found. A group of 71 adult smokers was followed from their first vape shop visit through a full year of vaping. The study found that a whopping 40 percent of smokers who began vaping quit smoking completely by the end of that year. The remaining 60 percent of smokers who hadn’t completely quit their habit actually decreased their habit by 25 percent. In contrast, other forms of NRT such as patches, lozenges, and Zyban only have an average success rate of 15% after one year.
So if you’ve tried some of the more traditional methods of NRT without success and you’re trying to quit your ansty smoking habit, give vaping a try. Statistics show that you’ll have a far better chance of kicking the stink sticks for good if you opt for vaping as your NRT.
Let’s talk about nicotine progression. This is the method in which vapers can decrease the amount of nicotine they ingest while continuing to vape the flavors they enjoy. Because vape juices come in a variety of nicotine levels, it is easier for smokers to lower their nicotine dependency gradually.
The best way to do this is to start at a comfortable nicotine level. Depending on your smoking habit, this can vary, but heavy smokers often find 12mg or 18mg a good place to start. You might need to experiment to see what nicotine level, which is measured in milligrams, is comfortable for you.
Once you feel comfortable vaping at your current nicotine strength, this is a great time to step down to a lower strength. If you started at 18mg, you can move to 12mg, then 6mg, then 3mg. Avoid lowering your nicotine strength more frequently than once per week.
Some people can make this procession without issue, but if you’re having a hard time going to the next nicotine strength, you can choose to buy the same flavor in both 0mg and your current nicotine strength so you can better control just how much nicotine you’re ingesting. Most people report that the most difficult step is moving from 3mg to 0mg, so you can use a bottle of both mixing 50/50 in each strength, giving you 1.5mg juice.
How to Transition to Vaping
We do have a few tips of success for you, especially if you’re new to vaping. The first is probably the most obvious, but experiment with nicotine levels until you’re comfortable. You want to start off your journey at around the same nicotine level as your smoking habit so that you stick with it.
Vape juices come in every flavor under the sun. From coffee to tobacco to fruit and candy, find a flavor profile you like and experiment with the choices available to you. Finding a flavor you enjoy will ensure that you stick with your plan to quit smoking.
Third, and probably most importantly, make sure that you decrease your nicotine levels at a pace that you’re comfortable with. Starting off at a high nicotine level and then dropping down to a very low level isn’t a great idea because your body needs to become accustomed to lower doses of nicotine, so pace yourself.
We hope that this introduction to vaping as an NRT alternative to quitting smoking is helpful. As always, we welcome your thoughts and questions. Let us know in the comments how you quit smoking with vaping and if you have any tips that we may have missed.
If you’re new to vaping: welcome! We’re thrilled to have you in this awesome community that’s destined to make the planet a healthier place by taking stinky cigarettes out of the equation. If you want to immerse yourself further into the fun vaping culture, feel free to check out our YouTube channel
to get started! We try to put out fun and educational content, and everything in between!